Popularly known as "AGC – Micro"; is one of the pioneering departments of Microbiology, in the Savitribai Phule Pune University (established in 1971). The department is home to a community of dedicated teachers and enthusiastic students; both involved in creating an innovative approach in the teaching-learning process and research in life sciences. The faculty has immense and diverse interests, ranging from Environmental Microbiology, Pollution Control Technology, Biochemistry and Enzymology, Immunology, Ethnopharmacology, Bioprospecting, Taxonomy, Molecular Biology, Food Microbiology, Prebiotics and Probiotics.......the list is un-ending!
The department is dedicated to education through two principle subjects at the undergraduate level (Microbiology and Industrial Microbiology) and a postgraduate course in Microbiology, providing opportunities for students to further join postgraduate and higher studies in practically all branches of life sciences. Research is also actively promoted through its Ph.D. program and research projects funded by the Savitribai Phule Pune University, UGC, ICMR, DBT and ISRO.
- Students of the department have participated in and won prizes at State and local level competitions.
- Three students of T. Y. B.Sc. Microbiology won the GOLD MEDAL at the 18th State Level Microbi Olympiad organized by the R. C. Patel Arts, Commerce and Science College, Shirpur, 27-January, 2019.
- Students of the Department have won prizes since 2013 in State Level Microbi Olympiad.
- Several students of F. Y. B.Sc. Microbiology worked as 'Facilitators' at the National Science Olympiad held at Balewadi, Pune.
- Two students, one from T. Y. B.Sc. and one from M. Sc. were felicitated at the Annual Academic Awards Function of the College.
- Students organized the annual MICROFEST which included an intercollegiate Poster Competition, Sports, Social Outreach Program and Guest Lectures.
- Students of the department have also participated actively in AVISHKAR, a State level project competition for students, organized by the Savitribai Phule Pune University.