History of Maharashtra Education Society
The Office of the Maharashtra Education Society, established in 1860 and registered under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860 on November 19, 1887, and the Bombay Public Trusts Act of 1950, on December 15, 1952, is situated in Pune.
The Society began as the Poona Native Institution (a Secondary School) as a proprietary concern of Mr. Mahagaonkar, in 1860. Later, the strings of the school were handed down through several eminent educationists of that time, and in 1874, Messrs. Vaman Prabhakar Bhave and Laxman Narahar Indapurkar finally developed the school into an establishment with the motto of "imparting literacy, scientific and industrial instructions to boys of the middle and struggling classes from in and out of Poona and diffusion of useful knowledge in general". Since then, the school in whose premises the Society Office was established, is called the "Bhave Boys School".
This seed planted in 1945 is now a large spreading tree, and today has twenty-five Departments across the Science and Arts Faculties, offering more than 30 different academic programmes, including self-financed and autonomous courses.
Abasaheb Garware College is the only Science and Arts College of the Maharashtra Education Society. It was established in 1945, and then named as M.E.S. College of Arts and Science, it imparted primary education in languages and social sciences, and a few subjects in science.
This seed planted in 1945 is now a large spreading tree, and today has twenty-five Departments across the Science and Arts Faculties, offering more than 30 different academic programmes, including self-financed and autonomous courses